Program Contacts | Coaching Staff | Bios
- Steven Lied - Boys HS Head Coach
- Chris Knarr - Assistant Boys Coach
- Joe Capp - Girls HS Head Coach
- Becca Shertzer - Assistant Girls HS Coach
- Bryan "Red" Hynes - Consulting Coach and Amishland Tournament Coor
- Chris Wenden - Penn Legacy U15 Boys Head Coach
- Tom Hallowell - Admin. & Frostbite Tournament Chair
- Hugh Cadzow – Admin.
- Curt Walter - Admin. & Field Czar
- Mike Capp - Admin. & Rules
Coaching Staff Bios
Joe Capp - Girls HS Head Coach
Joe Resides in Manheim Township with wife Tere, daughter Angelina, and two dogs, Mia and Rerun.
Joined Lancaster Rugby in the spring of 1975; previously served as captain, field chairman, and tournament committee member; played all positions except front row. Toured England, Wales and Canada with the Lancaster RFC. Played for the EPRU select side in 1981, 1982. Member of winning Keystone State Games Rugby Championship teams in 1983, 1984. Completed both the Introducing Rugby and Developing Rugby courses from USA Rugby and is currently holds a 300 level USA Rugby coaching certification. I am excited about the opportunity to work with the Hempfield Knightmares Rugby club, and look forward to the upcoming season. Feel free to contact me at email@example.com
Rebecca Shertzer - HS Girls Coach
My name is Rebecca Shertzer, otherwise known as "Coach Bex" or at Hempfield High School as "Frau Shertzer". I am a German Teacher at Hempfield High School, and have been involved with the Knightmares Rugby Club since the Spring of 2010 when I began to volunteer with head coach Joe Capp, my former college coach from Millersville University. I have been a helping hand to the team ever since. I myself have been playing rugby since 2006. My played my first ever game with no experience with the Kinghtmares that summer, leading me to fall in love with the sport. I continued to play four years in college and am still an active player with the local women's team, the Lancaster Thorns. I absolutely love playing rugby, coaching rugby, and above all getting to know the girls I coach, and teaching them lifelong lessons from the sport and spirit of rugby, that they can carry throughout their lives forever.
Curt Walter - Boys and Girls Assistant
- Lancaster County native. Graduated from Conestoga Valley HS Played Basketball, Soccer & Tennis. Graduated from West Virginia University. One of the founders of the WVU Men’s Rugby Club and the Hempfield Rugby Club. Played soccer for Lancaster United SC. Played Fullback for Lancaster RFC for twenty years. Coached Football Kicking and Punting at Conestoga Valley HS & McCaskey. Coached U15 Rugby for three years. Employed as a Commercial Account Manager for Tomlinson Bomberger Lawn Care & Landscape & Pest Control. Married to Chris who is employed as a social worker for Community Services. Two children, Zach & Monica.
"Red" Hynes - Consulting Coach
Head rugby coach at Millersville University. Collegiate playing experience: Millersville University 1991-1992, and University of Maryland 1992-1996. Men's club playing experience: Maryland Exiles, Tokyo Crusaders, and Lancaster-York Roses. Assistant coaching experience: Potomac Rugby Union U-19, Warwick HS, and Sano HS (Japan).
Coach Hynes teaches at HHS where he serves as a liaison between the club and the school. He also works as a consultant to the HRFC coaches/ club administrators and occasionally assists during practice